As a member of NYSASWM, you are invited to attend the spring and fall conferences hosted by NYSASWM. Conference topics address issues and updates in the New York State solid waste management arena. Both conferences offer continuing education contact hours and NYSASWM members receive a conference registration discount. Landfill Operator Training is offered every other year at the March event.
Landfill Operator Proceedings
- NY State Regulations/Landfill Design – Richard Clarkson, P.E., NYSDEC Central Office
- Waste Screening/Radiation Detection Program – Rich Bills, Environmental Coordinator, Steuben Co. DPW
- Working Face Procedures – Steve McElwain, Operations Manager, Development of the North Country
- Leachate Management – Josh Olbrys, Operations & Landfill Facility Manager, Oneida-Herkimer SWA
- Landfill Gas – William Doebler, Barton & Loguidice, D.P.C.
- Water Quality Monitoring – Dale Becker, Engineering Geologist, NYSDEC Region 5
- Stormwater Management – Dave Hanny, CPESC, CPSWQ, LEED AP, Barton & Loguidicem D.P.C.
- Landfill Safety – Josh Brown, Environmental Technician, Fulton County Dept. of Solid Waste
- Onondaga County RRA Compost – Greg Gelewski, Compost Operations Manager
2016 Fall Conference Proceedings
- NYSDEC Part 360 Regulatory Update – Robert Phaneuf, Dave Vitale, Rick Clarkson, Melissa Treers, Gus Carayiannis – NYSDEC
- Post Closure Care – Don Hullings – Cornerstone Environmental
- Seneca Energy RNG Facility – Dennis Plaster – Aria Energy
- Organics Waste Management – Dave Vitale, Sally Rowland – NYSDEC
- Quantities of Organics, NYS Perspective – George Bevington – Gerhardt LLC
- Source Separated Organics Collection – Abbie Webb – Casella Waste Management
- Drone Mapping in Landfills – Jacob Hier – Identified Technologies
- Monroe County Ecopark – Nicole Fornof – Waste Management
- Monroe County ARE Park Update – James Zecca – Madison County DSW & Sanitation and Chad Hutton – Barton & Loguidice
2015 Fall Conference Proceedings
- NYSDEC Regulatory Update – Robert Phaneuf, P.E., NYSDEC
- Franklin County Landfill Update – George Eades, Executive Director, County of Franklin Solid Waste
- Decentralized Compost Facilities – Gregory McCarron, P.E., Vice President SCS Engineers
- Food Waste Recycling: Trends & Considerations – Karen Flanders, Casella Waste Systems
- Solid Waste Transportation by Intermodal Railroad – Jeff Richardson, Waste Management of NY
- FINCH WASTE CO LLC THE FORMER SARATOGA COUNTY LANDFILL – Former Saratoga Co. LF – Warren Harris, P.E., Finch
- SINGLE STREAM MRF Design & Construction – Sue McIntyre, Solid Waste Director Delaware County DPW and Timothy Schroder, PE Project Manager/Lead Engineer, Ann Clark PE, Clark Davis Engineering & Surveying
- Economic$ at Chautauqua County Landfill – Pantelis K. Panteli, P.E., Chautauqua Co. DSW
- Local Solid Waste Planning & Program Implementation – Luann Meyer, Barton & Loguidice D.P.C.
2015 Leachate Management Seminar & Tour
- NYSDEC Regulatory Update – Bob Phaneuf, P.E., Assistant Division Director
- WWTP Discharge Permit Considerations – Tom Rhoads, P.E. – Commissioner Onondaga County Department of Water Environment Protection –
- Leachate Pretreatment System Operations – Steve Orcutt, Assistant Commissioner Steuben County Solid Waste Division
- Oh Leachate, Let Me Count The Ways -A Lanchester PA Perspective – Robert F. Hasemeier, P.E. Senior Managing Engineer, Barton & Loguidice Engineers D.P.C.
- County Leachate Pilot Project – Jason Greene, PE Senior Project Engineer, GHD Consulting Services, Inc.
- Leachate Treatment by Reverse Osmosis – Peter Baker, P.E.; David Pannucci, and Richard Weis, Seneca Meadows, Inc.
- Leachate Evaporation Systems (Ins and Outs) – John Weigold and Bernie Duesel, Heartland Technology Partners, LLC
- Overview Of Onondaga Lake Remediation ProjectTimothy Larson, P.E. and Richard Mustico, P.E., NYSDEC
2014 Fall Conference Proceedings
- Regulatory Update from NYSDEC Part I – Robert Phaneuf, P.E., NYSDEC
- Regulatory Update from NYSDEC – Product Stewardship – Part II – Mark Moroukian, P.E., NYSDEC
- Innovations for Municipal Landfill Solar Installations – Jim Kurtz, Sunvestment Group & Mark Roach, RER Energy Group
- Organic Waste to Energy – Ed Nesselbeck, Nessco Consulting LLC
- Leachate Treatment – Non-Thermal Plasma Process – Gary DiPippo, P.E., Cornerstone Environmental Group
- Back to Basics – the Landfill’s Growing Responsibilities – Part I – Steve McElwain, Landfill Superintendent – DANC Solid Waste Management Facility
- Back to Basics – the Landfill’s Growing Responsibilities – Part II – Richard LeClerc, General Manager, DANC Solid Waste Management Facility
- Waste Gasification Project – James Tayor Jr., Taylor Recycling Facility LLC
- Power Purchase Agreements From the Municipal Perspective – William Buchan, Buchan & Sutter P.C.
- The Benefits of Inter-Municipal Agreements – Mark Donnelly, Executive Director, Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency
- Current Recycling Market Trends – Dan Kurtz, Sierra Processing/County Waste & Recycling
2014 Landfill Operator Training Course
- NYS Regulations – Richard Clarkson, P.E., NYSDEC
- Landfill Design – Cory McDowell, P.E., Barton & Loguidice D.P.C.
- Waste Screening – Steve Orcutt, Steuben County DPW
- Working Face Procedures – Jeff Bouchard, Fulton County DSW
- Leachate Management – Frank Visser, P.E., Oswego County DSW
- Landfill Gas – William Doebler, Barton & Loguidice D.P.C.
- Stormwater Management – Teresa Wong, Casella Waste Systems
- Water Quality Monitoring – Dale Becker, NYSDEC
- Landfill Safety – Lewell Troast, Jr., Empire Safety Training & Consulting, Inc.
- Modern Landfill & H2Gro Greenhouses – Gary Smith, P.E., Modern Corporation
2013 NYSASWM Fall Technical Training
- Organics Recycling in New York State – Sally Rowland, Ph.D., P.E., Division of Materials Management NYSDEC
- Madison County’s Agriculture and Renewable Energy Business Park – James Zecca, Director – Madison County DSW, Kipp Hicks, Executive Director – Madison County IDA
- Converting Biogas to CNG for Vehicle Fuel – Chris Voell, Eastern Sales Manager, BIOCNG
- Current Developments in the Environmental Markets – Denise Farrell, Environmental Capital LLC
- LES Landfill Methane CNG Pipeline Landfill Methane to Pipeline-Quality Natural Gas– Peter H. Zeliff, Sr., EIF Renewable Holdings, LLC
- Flow Control Update 2013 – Michael J. Cahill, Germano & Cahill
- Deconstruction and Associated Materials Management – Mark Donnelly, Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency
- Community Impacts through Deconstruction & ReUse – Diane Cohen, Finger Lakes ReUse, Inc.
- Residential Deconstruction Project – William A. Rabbia, Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority
2013 Training Seminar Organic Waste Management
- Engineering and operational considerations of comprehensive solid waste management systems including organics – Hans Arnold, Gerhardt Consulting
- Operation of anaerobic digestion facilities to meet design and regulatory criteria – George Bevington, Gerhardt Consulting
- Permit requirements for organic waste management facilities – Sally Rowland and Bob Phaneuf, NYSDEC
- Toronto anaerobic digestion, engineering and design principles – Ian Dickinson, AECOM
- Engineering and design principles for a co-digestion process at a medium-size dairy farm – Jay Kilbourn, Casella Organics
- Organics diversion-relative impacts on Gas Collection Control System design and operation – Daryl O’Dell, Cornerstone Engineering
- Long-term experience of engineered municipal composting systems – Sue McIntyre, Delaware County
- Composting: Turning a “Waste” Problem into a Resource Opportunity – Greg Gelewski, Onondaga County RRA
- Engineered municipal composting system – Jim Biamonte, Oneida-Herkimer Solid Waste Authority
- Private sector compost – Barbara Eckstrom, Tompkins Co. & Mary Proctor, Owner, Cayuga Compost