ENVIRONMENTAL COMPLIANCE COORDINATOR
Madison County seeks a full-time Environmental Compliance Coordinator responsible for coordinating, overseeing and implementing an organized management system for landfill and transfer station compliance for the Madison County Solid Waste Department. The incumbent performs routine site inspections, field testing, sampling and data collection oversight, preparing solid waste reports and permit renewals as well as many other duties. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Director and Deputy Director of Solid Waste Management, allowing leeway for the use of independent judgment in planning work details and in making technical decision on routine problems. The incumbent does related work as required.
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered four year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree, or higher-level degree, in Environmental Planning, Ecology, Natural Resources, Natural Sciences, Environmental Education, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Environmental or Natural Resource Management, Environmental Studies, Environmental Technology, Environmental Energy, or closely related field; OR
B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Environmental Planning, Ecology, Natural Resources, Natural Sciences, Environmental Education, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Environmental or Natural Resource Management, Environmental Studies, Environmental Technology, Environmental Energy, or a closely related field, AND two years of full-time paid, or its part-time equivalent, experience involving environmental management and data analysis activities which shall have included regulation compliance; OR
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as outlined by (A) and (B) above.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of the appropriate driver’s license issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles is required at the time of appointment and maintenance of said license for the duration of appointment.
2020 Hire Rate: 24.80/hr (37.5 hrs/wk)
** Go to: https://madison-portal.mycivilservice.com for an application and to apply. **
Application Deadline: 12/16/2020
Monroe County is seeking a Solid Waste Administrator, prov Rochester, NY
Salary: $76,157 – $98,083 annually
Description of Duties
This is a professional position, located in the Department of Environmental Services, requiring the application of technical, administrative and leadership capabilities in developing and implementing a large scale solid waste management system. Duties include coordinating and managing contracts and agreements relating to solid waste systems including landfills, recycling, and resource recovery facilities, and solid waste management plans. The employee reports directly to, and works under the general supervision of, the Director of Environmental Services or other higher level staff member. General supervision is exercised over professional and clerical staff. Does related work as required.
Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma plus EITHER:
(A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Master’s degree in Civil, Chemical, Sanitary or Environmental Engineering, Environmental Management or a closely related field, or a natural or physical science field including any environmental science field plus four (4) years paid full‑time or its part‑time equivalent experience in either solid waste or wastewater planning, management and regulatory compliance, or construction management, or environmental compliance; OR,
(B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in one of the fields mentioned in (A) above, plus six (6) years paid full-time or its part-time equivalent experience in either solid waste or wastewater planning, management and regulatory compliance, or construction management, or environmental compliance; OR,
(C) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s degree in one of the fields mentioned in (A) above plus eight (8) years paid full-time or its part-time equivalent experience in either solid waste or wastewater planning, management and regulatory compliance, or construction management, or environmental compliance; OR,
(D) An equivalent combination of education and experience as defined by the limits of (A), (B) and (C) above.
Deputy Executive Director/Deputy Commissioner
Town of North Hempstead | Solid Waste Management Authority (SWMA)
The Town of North Hempstead seeks a solid waste management professional with education and experience to serve as the Deputy Executive Director/Deputy Commissioner of the Solid Waste Management Authority. Reporting to the Executive Director/Commissioner, the Deputy will be involved in all phases of operations of the Authority.
- Administration of an approximately $20 million annual operating budget
- The operation of a 1100 ton/day municipal transfer station receiving both refuse and recyclables
- Post closure management of two former landfills, including but not limited to oversight of SWMA staff and consultants responsible for the landfill gas, leachate and ground water monitoring systems.
- Development, solicitation and administration of Township municipal refuse and recycling collection contracts
- Annual regulatory compliance reporting, local, state and federal
- Knowledge and experience with public works projects: including but not limited to: the conceptualization and actual drafting of RFPs and Competitive Bids; contract specification development; navigating the public solicitation process from start to finish;
and in general the development of specifications for out-sourced public service agreements
- Oversight of approximately 12 full-time employees
- Management of the Town’s private carter serviced school recycling program with 9 individual school districts participating
- Management of the Town’s various Take Back and Drop-off programs
Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. A master’s or PhD degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering, Environmental Science, Geology, Public Policy or a related field. Registration as a professional engineer is desirable; and four years of satisfactory, full-time public sector experience, at least two years of which must have been in a broad administrative or policy-making capacity, with responsibility for planning, organizing, coordinating, developing, evaluating and/or administering a large public service program or activity; or
2. A baccalaureate degree approved by a State’s Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization and eight years of satisfactory, full-time experience as described in “1” above, at least two years of which must have been in a broad administrative or policy-making capacity with responsibilities as described in “1” above;
3. Experience equivalent to “1” or “2” above.
All candidates must possess a NYS driver license.
The successful applicant is expected to have both the ability and interest to grow and expand upon the Town’s existing programs, working closely with the Commissioner, other industry professionals, school administrators, and the public.
Candidates should have excellent demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, a strong knowledge of the solid waste management industry and environmental compliance at the local, state and federal levels, including, RCRA, SEQRA, Part 360 and recycling laws, and an ability to work in a fast-paced, collegial and team-oriented atmosphere.
Excellent benefits, including health/dental/vision plan, NYS retirement system, and generous vacation and leave. Salary DOQ.
Send resume and cover letter by mail to: Commissioner of Human Resources, Town of North Hempstead, 220 Plandome Road, Manhasset, NY, 11030; or by e-mail to
Does your company or organization have a position opening in the solid waste management industry?
Would you like to post the position here on our NYSASWM website? To learn more please contact:
Cindy Livingston, Deputy Director
FC Solid Waste Dept.
PO Box 28
Johnstown, NY 12095
(518) 736-5501, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.